We all love our dogs and treat them as no less than our own children and if something happens to them, then we leave no stone turned to make it right. Dog Food Poisoning Symptoms are the most vital symptoms to look out for as food poisoning is very common among dogs and it has an adverse effect on them. One should always be on the lookout for the following symptoms if they want to take better care of their tanks. So today here at Pet Nurturing we shall discuss the important dog food poisoning symptoms and what to do when you see the symptoms.
Also Read: Dogs And Their Phobias
Loss Of Appetite
A change in the dog’s eating habits is usually the first signal for many illness types. Your dog may not be interested in eating even his regular kibble or even his most favourite snack. If your dog skips one meal and is not showing other symptoms, this is generally not a much cause for concern. If your dog skips multiple meals and has other symptoms, do immediately contact your veterinarian.
Drooling is typically a sign of a type of nausea. You might notice that your dog is drooling excessively if he is experiencing poisoning. Following that excessive drooling, your dog might begin foaming at the mouth.
This can occur both, with or without the presence of blood since some toxins such as the rat poison, Warfarin, produce only internal bleeding. If your dog does vomit, be sure to take a sample to later give it to your veterinarian. Your veterinarian might be able to determine what your dog ate with the sample you bring into the office.
Many pet parents feel that if their dog hasn’t vomited the poison, they should induce the vomiting immediately. This isn’t correct. You should never induce vomiting without the veterinarian’s approval. Inducing vomiting can actually result in more harm to your dog depending on what is poisoning him.
This can occur both, with or without bleeding as sometimes the bleeding is internal only. You may notice the stool is black, green or even yellow. The diarrhoea is often caused by an excess amount of water which is attempting to flush out the toxins.
Rash Or Irritation At The Contact Site
This typically occurs when the toxin has entered the bloodstream via the skin. For example, if your dog has been in contact with poison ivy, he may develop a rash where his body part had touched the plant. You might notice:
- Red irritated skin
- Fluid-filled blisters
- Swelling in the rash
- Continuous itching
Lethargic behaviour can be generally due to the ill effects of the toxin, but it might also be a sort of sign that the toxin is affecting the heart muscle. If your dog is feeling lethargic, he may not feel like going for his daily walk or doing anything or even getting up. You shall notice an extreme lack of energy.
If this continues for over 24 hours, without any other symptoms, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. If your dog appears to be very lethargic and the lethargy is also accompanied by vomiting or diarrhoea, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Loss Of Coordination
This symptom is typically a good indication that the brain has been affected by an ingested toxin. Your dog may bump into various objects around the home, fall down or have a hard time walking. Essentially, he will also appear dizzy as if he has lost his sense of coordination. Xylitol, for example, can cause a lack of coordination within 10 minutes after ingestion.
Tremors Or Seizures
Tremors or seizures can be a further vital sign of the brain’s involvement with the toxin. During a seizure, your dog may:
- Lose all consciousness
- Urinate involuntarily
- Defecate involuntarily
- Drool excessively
Slowed down heart function can cause a buildup of fluid in the lungs that might lead to breathing difficulties. If your dog is actually experiencing laboured breathing, he will not be able to get a full breath in. If your dog has laboured breathing, you shall notice:
- The chest cavity moving more than normal
- Flared nostrils
- Extended head and neck
- Loud breaths
Sensitivity To Light
Some poisons make a dog photosensitive. Your dog will search for a quiet and dark area to rest if she is experiencing sensitivity to light problems. Poisons that affect the nervous system might cause sensitivity to light. In addition to being very sensitive to light, she may be sensitive to also touch and sound as well.
The Onset Of Organ Failure
Kidneys, heart, liver and other organs may begin to shut down as the toxin takes full effect.
Loss Of Consciousness
This is a very severe sign. Your dog will stop responding to you if she loses consciousness. If you notice she loses consciousness then do the following:
- Put your hands over her heart and ensure that you feel a heartbeat
- Take a video so that you can show that to your veterinarian
- Contact your veterinarian urgently
- Nonresponsive Behavior
The dog might remain conscious but yet not appear to see or hear anything going on around. She might not know who or where you are. This stage is also known as stupor. This can be extremely scary but do try your best to remain calm. Your dog shall need your comfort throughout this difficult time.