Bees and wasps are two insects that cause the most damage and pain with their stings. It is not the puncture wound that contributes to the pain. Rather it is the poison that they inject into the wound that causes your pet to be in pain. Most dogs get stung on their faces which is harmless enough but sometimes they try to bite the insect and get stung on their tongues or throats. This is dangerous as it can lead to swelling in said organs and cause the closing of the air passageway of your dog.
What Symptoms Should You Watch Out For?
- Allergic reaction.
- General weakness
- Labored breathing or pained breathing.
- An unusual amount of swelling in the region of the sting or wound.
If you spot any of these symptoms, then your dog should be taken to the veterinarian immediately.
Steps That You Can Follow To Take Care Of The Sting Immediately After The Event:
- A simple sting should be temporarily bothersome and can be safely left alone to heal by itself. However, if a stinger is still there then it needs to be removed. This should be done using your fingernails or pieces of cardboard. Do not use forceps or to remove the sting as they can make the sting release more poison and worsen the injury.
- Next, you can try to alleviate the pain for your pet by using a mixture of baking soda with water and applying that to the area of the sting or wound. This will help reduce the pain. If there is swelling then an ice pack wrapped in a towel can help to reduce it immensely.
- You need to keep a close eye on your dog to make sure that he doesn’t scratch the wound and exacerbate it or the swelling doesn’t worsen. In critical cases swelling blocks some important pathways that can lead to serious conditions. If possible, always take your dog to the vet after any such incident.
- In case the swelling worsens or your dog seems to be in discomfort or the swelling takes days to recover, you should contact your vet as these are abnormal conditions and need to be taken seriously.
You cannot stop your dog or pet from being curious or exploring but you can take care that if anything happens you are able to take care of your pet and make sure that he or she is not in pain.