What we think is – The Saluki dog is beautiful than all models on this earth. Getting a dog isn’t a tough task! But finalizing which one to get is! Let’s see saluki dog breed.
We saw how a trend is bending towards the Saluki dog. People are researching it more and more, and you are one of them too! So clearly, your motive is to get detail information on this tall and beautiful breed. Without going here there with random talks, We will get into the topic.
So first things first, its origin and history behind it. We love knowing everyone in person (especially dogs!).
Saluki dog breed was once consider as the gift from Allah! Its history and origin date back to ancient times.
There are a few different stories explaining the origin of this muscular and slender dog. Of which some go back before 7000 B.C., aren’t you curious about the title tag A Royal Pet Love by Kings or Favorite pet of Egyptian Pharaohs?
Obviously, you are, right? Read this section, and you will be clarify about the same.
A structure resembling greyhound with long feather ears were seen on Egyptian tombs dating to 2100 B.C.E., some 4,000 years ago. Even carvings of the Sumerian period (between c. 4500 – c. 1900 BC) also depict the similar-looking animals. Salukis were among the favorite pets of Egyptian Pharaohs, especially Alexander the Great, and were also consider as the Royal dogs. It is said that they were also mummified after their death.
Another story that revolves around is of the Nomadic Muslims, who despise unclean animals but consider Saluki as a gift from Allah and also refer them to honorific El Hor (The Noble). Salukis’ presence was record in Middle-east, Persia (present Iran), Syria, Egypt, Palestine, Anatolia, Mesopotamia, and Arabia.
They were first seen in 1840 in Britain after world war I when officers return from middle-east with these powerful dogs. After that, in 1927, they were recognize in the United States. It is one of the rare breeds in the world.
A Quick Overview of the Breed:-Breed Group:- Hound Group Height:- 23 inches to 28 inches Weight:- 40 to 60 pounds Life Expectancy:- 12 to 14 years Traits:- Gentle, Dignify, Aloof, Independent, Loyal Also Known as:- Persian Greyhound, Gazelle Hounds
The following points describe the image of Saluki in the best way possible:-
- Salukis are best describe as canine-supermodel with its slender and erotic appearance.
- Saluki’s bones can be seen easily, bones as in hipbones, last three ribs, and couple vertebrae, not every single bone.
- Saluki has a long silky coat that can be either smooth or wavy. Particularly known as feathers are found around ears, under the tail, between toes, and sometimes on the back and beneath the throat.
- The rest of its body is cover in a soft and short coat.
- They can be found in a variety of colors, from cream to black and can also in tricolor (white, black, and tan).
- Their eyes are as deep as an ocean. The eye color ranges from dark to hazel.
- They are built for both speed and endurance. They are the long-distance runner in their family (sighthound family!).
Gazelle Hounds need a moderate amount of shedding; they like to keep themselves clean and groom. Yeah! They will also do their grooming. There are a few things that you will need to keep in mind for their grooming, and they are as follows:
- Gazelle’s have two types of coat feather and smooth: both can be easily groom and will need weekly brushing.
- If your Saluki has a long ear, then to keep them out of the food bowl, you may need to use snood.
- Plus point, only if you don’t like the dog’s odor! This breed is particularly known for not having a dog’s odor. (Yes, you are reading it right!)
- Just wipe down a wet cloth to clean Saluki. No need to bathe it, (bathe it only when it gets dirty!)
- Nails would need trimming once or twice in a month (as need).
- Remove tartar build-up and bacteria by brushing its teeth, at least weekly twice or thrice.
Saluki is a dog version of a cat. You know how hard it is to train a cat. The same way you can’t expect Saluki to obey you while training. It is a bit difficult to train, but for that, you will also need to be strong in order to train it.
- This breed is super sensitive, so you will need to use positive reinforcement while training. Such as food treat or praise will also do the wonders.
- Early socialization is necessary as it acts shy and aloof in front of strangers. (It is kind of introvert breed!)
- Warning you ahead! It is an independent breed and won’t follow you everywhere. It can’t be trust off-leash. If you want it to come on a call, even when you are at the alluring place, then this may disappoint you, but they aren’t someone that will follow you or are attentive.
- The best key to train them properly is starting from a young age. Saluki puppy can be train easily, from holding still while brushing the teeth to nail trimming.
- Running is the only thing that run’s in the blood of Saluki, so playing with them becomes more enjoyable.
- Hunting is the skill that is in-built in Saluki’s, as they use to be hunting partners and chase the prey and deliver them to their human hunting partners.
- Exercise needs are high; they need a daily walk to stay fit.
- Make sure your house has fencing around it to keep them safe from traffic. (They are runners and can escape!)
- They are super sensitive (as we said above), when left alone, they can get in depression. And when bore, they can behave destructively.
Health and Care
This beautiful and active breed mostly lives a healthy life from childhood to adulthood. But they certainly do have some health issues that can be life-threatening if no prior precaution is taken. Below are the few points on health and care that you need to take care of:-
- First and foremost thing, they aren’t suitable for apartment life; they need a large area of space with the proper fencing.
- Saluki’s forms a deep bond with the family members and can get attached to a particular person of the family. It is an affectionate pet and experience separation anxiety when left alone.
- Though they don’t have any serious genetic disease, they are likely to develop serious heart problems such as valve disease, arrhythmia, and enlarged hearts. They can also suffer from cancers like hemangiosarcoma or osteosarcoma, lymphoma, or mammary cancers (can be prevented by early spaying).
- Don’t allow them to walk, run or play too soon after eating, which can cause bloat (gastric torsion) and needs immediate veterinary intervention. Bloat can result in life-threatening conditions.
- The appetite of this breed varies from dog to dog, so take care of over-feeding, which can lead to over-weight and gastric issues. Make sure; freshwater is available for them 24×7.
- The soft and plush bedding is required for them due to their low-fat body. And will love to cozy-up with its human.
- They may be over-active for young children in the house. Otherwise, they are the perfect companion that will love you to the moon and back.
Facts and Highlights
Below are the few facts that about saluki dog that you may not know about this entirely captivating breed:-
- Normally sighthounds work using scents, but Saluki works using its sight. (It is defining the perfect meaning of ‘Sight’ hound! Haha!). After knowing the fact that they work on their keen sight, precautions recommended by the breeders or vet makes sense.
- Hunting skill is running in their blood, and once they start chasing the prey, there are chances that they won’t respond to your commands. Take this as a warning; it can get itself into trouble (or someone else!).
- They aren’t shown on TV shows or are the center of attraction in pop culture, but they are the fast runners after Greyhounds.
- Gazelle Hound is one of the most expensive dog breeds.
- It is considered as the marvel of elegance and grace because of its appearance.
- This breed is known for its strength, speed, and endurance. Along with this, it also affectionate and lovable towards their owners and favorite humans.
A Royal and Loyal Pet:
So, how was it? Isn’t this breed just amazing? Saluki’s prove the quote. ‘Old is Gold,’ with its appearance, and personality traits. They are reserved pet with hunting skills. This cat-like dog makes the perfect pet for people like us! They are lovable, cute, and model. When on a walk or on an outing with Saluki, its looks will surely get head-turns. They will out-shine among all the other breeds. Get it, and have a cuddle partner.
For more information: