Source :- dogster.com
Estruses, or commonly known as heat, is that stage in a female dog’s reproductive cycle when she is ready to mate with male dogs.
It is all a natural process in case of reproduction in animals. However, the pain is only well understood by the female species. In female dogs, the condition of being in “heat” is referred to that time when her estrogens level increase at first and then decreases sharply. Mature eggs are consequently released from the ovary. This stage is achieved at nearly between six months and twenty-four months of age and the females goes into heat about twice a year at a gap of six months. The male is attracted to the females only for 18 days but the female is receptive for about 9-10 days.
The female may behave weirdly; becoming more alert yet nervous at the same time and even get distracted. This is due to hormonal changes. The female may even be seen acting in some way to attract the males like, elevate her hind portion, and move her tail to one side. Firstly the area near their vagina gets swollen up; reddish-pink in color, that is the vulva. Vaginal discharge is completely red-tinged. When the female becomes receptive to male, the vaginal discharge decreases and becomes straw colored.
WHAT TO DO
Source :- allthingsdogs.com
If you are thinking about what to do when your dog is in heat then follow the following steps.
- Diapers for your dog: The female dog generally discharges a bloody discharge which can be seen on the floors or even in carpets. This is problematic for the owner. In that case, disposable diapers are available in many stores
- Extra attention: It is important that you care for your dog more a bit to keep her away from her sexual needs. Indulge the dog in some indoor playful activity. Avoid letting her outdoors as her scent will attract male dogs. Also, take your dog to regular baths.
- Music to help her relax: Music has proved its healing power in many ways; fighting the heat cycle even. Music type must include only soothing or cleansing music, or classical music to help the dog get down during the heat cycle.
- Rubbing vapor rubs: Rubbing vapor rub near the vagina or even the base of the tail helps to keep away the male dogs. This process is helpful in those houses having a female as well as male dogs.
- To Spay: To spay means to remove the female dog’s ovaries and the uterus via an operation. This is a common name used in place for the term “Ovariohysterectomy”. If you are confused about what to do when your dog is in heat then follow this process as it completely terminates the chances of the dog being able to reproduce. This operation takes nearly 2 hours and is easily done; sheer goodbye! Post operation recovery rate is fast. Though spay can lead to infections, chances are negligible. Better to opt for a good veterinarian to operate your lovable doggies! Spay reduces the chances of many deadly diseases like Pyometra (a deadly infection of the uterus which demands aggressive treatments), and cancer of the ovaries and uterus and also of mammary cancer. It is highly recommended to consult a veterinarian before taking any steps.
Help your dog live a healthy and joyful life.