Whether you have just got the dog as a pet or had it for months. Taking care is a must, and now is always the best time to start. You won’t want your pup to get scratching all over and feel itchy. Right? The fleas in dogs can really be dangerous for your dog. Yes! Even though they are very little in size, they possess much harm to dogs.You might have realized the same, and now you are here to know about the best flea treatment for dogs. Don’t let little dog fleas irritate and harm your pooch.
What Are the Best Flea Treatments for Dogs?
Here I have mentioned a few of the best flea medicines for dogs that veterinarians prescribe for the treatment. You will get them online on Amazon and also before you buy to make sure to confirm it with your vet. (As he knows your dog’s history, medicines can react differently on all dogs.)
Frontline Plus dog is among the best flea and tick treatments for dogs. This flea medicine is available for both large and small dogs. With this medicine, you can break the life cycle of fleas and ticks as fast as possible. However, you can not use them around the cats. So if you have a cat as another pet, you might have to look for another option.
- Fast-acting, and long-lasting flea treatment to control the infestation.
- Kills fleas, their eggs, lice, ticks, and any other insect that may transmit Lyme disease.
- Has 3 doses for 3 months. (One application per month.)
- Fipronil and (S)-methoprene are the two tough killing ingredients.
- After 24 hours of application, the medicine becomes waterproof.
Bayer’s Advantus offers chewable to kill and prevent fleas. It is one of the best oral flea medications for dogs. Once your dog starts chewing on this soft medicine, it will start the work within an hour. The biggest advantage of Advantus chew is its taste and shape. They look just like treats and taste like one as well, whereas other brands provide classic bitter meds.
- Soft tasty chews that will start the flea killing process in 1-hour
- One pack contains 7 soft chews with Imidacloprid as an active ingredient.
- You cannot give more than 1 chew per day.
- Best for the dogs of 10 weeks and older.
- You don’t need a prescription to get these tasty dog flea pills.
Another oral treatment for dog fleas – Capstar for both Dogs and Cats. The Capstar’s flea treatment is in tablet form which will start killing flea infestation within 30 minutes of intake. It is an acute measure for that but not the only one. The Capstar’s pills come in accordance with the dog’s size.
- Fast-acting oral flea treatment
- If there’s fast re-infestation, it will help you in killing that too.
- Comes in 6 doses, and can be taken a single dose per day.
- It has nitenpyram as an active ingredient.
- No need for a veterinarian’s prescription.
Bravecto Soft Chews for Dogs
The Bravecto’s chews for dog flea treatment are given only when prescribed by a vet. It is a flavored and tasty chew, that will start killing fleas within 2 hours of intake. The one chewable can protect your dog for up to 3 months from fleas and ticks. If your pooch isn’t taking it, all you have to do is mix the pill with its food.
- Fluralaner is its active ingredient.
- One pill will work for 3 months.
- It will start working within 2 hours.
- Get the dosage as per weight type.
- Protects your pup from both flea and tick.
One of the best flea and tick treatments for dogs is K9 Advantix II. It is easy-to-apply the medicine that will show its effect on fleas, ticks, and even mosquitos. They have products based on dog’s sizes from small to large and extra-large. It starts working within the 12-hours of application.
- Killing and prevention of ticks, fleas, and mosquitos.
- Its active ingredients are imidacloprid, permethrin, and pyriproxyfen.
- Once per month application which will start killing in 12 hours.
- K9 Advantix II for dogs cannot be used on or around cats.
There are three to four different types of medicines and treatments for fleas in a dog, among which one is the collar. Yes, a flea collar is designed to safeguard your dog from getting harmful diseases. Bayer’s Seresto is one of the most recognized fleas and tick collars for a dog that does its work effectively. The collar is non-greasy and odorless.
- The flea collar is made of two active ingredients imidacloprid and flumethrin.
- Prevents fleas and tick for 8-months, continuously.
- Comes in different sizes as per the dog’s size.
- It can also control and kill sarcoptic mange and lice.
- Starts working 24 hours after the wear.
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray
Sprays are another preventive and treatment measure that one may take to get rid of flea infestation. Peppermint Oil, Eugenol (from Clove plants), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (plant-derived), and water are the active ingredient in this flea and tick home spray. All you have to do is spray it around the house.
- Effective against killing fleas (scientifically proven), but gentle enough to use around the family members.
- 100% Natural ingredients are used to make this spray.
- Apply it on floors, furniture, dog bedding, blankets, and wherever possible. It isn’t harmful.
- Powerful natural extracts are used and tested to see their effectiveness.
- When applying directly on the pooch’s skin make sure it is of 12 weeks or older.
Other than these, there are two more products that I would like to introduce to you for effective flea and tick killing.
PetArmor Plus for Dogs Flea and Tick Prevention for Dogs
PetArmor Plus’s medicine is the best bet for fleas & ticks killing and prevention. It has all the active ingredients that Frontline’s meds have, and works kind of the same as well. It is one of the best topical flea treatments for dogs that kills and prevents the infestation of lice, fleas, and ticks for 30 days.
Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor
Another way of removing the fleas from the dogs’ skin, use shampoo specially designed for the same. This Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor is the best one for that. It kills the flea in all stages and provides protection for 28 days.
The above are the nine best flea medicine for dogs that will treat and prevent it, but can it be done naturally? Let’s see.
How to Prevent Fleas on Dogs Naturally?
According to the CDC, you can indeed protect your dog and cat from getting fleas naturally. Here are a few steps that you need to follow for the same:
- Don’t let your dog spend the most time outdoors.
- Do regular brushing and give it a bath after every walk and outdoor game time.
- Limit its contact with stray and wild animals.
- Check for the fleas every now and then.
- Keep the house clean and free from fleas. If you see any fleas on anything machine wash or vacuum it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Fleas in Dogs
1. What Are Fleas in Dogs?
Fleas are ectoparasite that lives on mammals. You will find more on domestic dogs and pets. Dogs fleas are one of the flea species. These teeny-tiny insects can make your dog go mad scratching its head. It can grow into thousands from a single flea in no time.
2. How Do Dogs Get Fleas?
The most common means of picking up the flea is through the environment. They can jump from one pup to another pooch with a second’s contact only. Dog’s are social in nature, they like to play around with other pets, which results in getting dog fleas.
3. How Do You Know If a Dog Has Fleas?
There are certain signs that will tell you about the existing dog fleas in your pet. The symptoms are as follows:
- You will see it scabbing and rubbing.
- It will act uncomfortable and irritated.
- There will be licking and intense scratching.
- You may see adult fleas scurring or jumping.
- You might even see the larvae hatching or cocooned larvae on its fur.
4. How Can It Affect Your Dog’s Health?
Dog fleas can make your pet scratching more than normal, which will result in hair loss, irritated and reddened skin. Apart from that, there are few serious problems, that your pup might face like, Flea allergy dermatitis, Anemia, and Tapeworms.
5. Where Can I Find Fleas on the Dog?
Fleas like to hang out at places that are warm and protected. The very first place to look for is the skin under the fur. After that, you should also check out the head, shoulders, the base of the tail, neck, groin, armpits, legs, etc. One more thing, you would like to know – These are the places where dogs bit each other.
Treat Your Dog with Best Flea Treatment:
Sometimes finding the best flea treatment for dogs can get too overwhelming. So to help you with the situation, I did the research part on my own and presented the best medicines for the treatment.
However, when you are selecting the medicine, consider important factors like its size, weight, age, and types of fleas. Before making the final decision consult a veterinarian, as he will be knowing about all the medical history of dogs. For more information on breeds, pet care, and its products, visit PetsNurturing.