Dogs are not only cute but also human’s best buddies and companies. These pets are part of our families and are always ready to do anything for us. They never leave our sides in any situation; we should also try to give them the best things. And let’s start with food! Are you giving your dog commercial dog food?
Recently many recalls and information has been noticed, that’s why these days, many dog owners are swapping the store-bought food with the home-cooked meals.
Yes, home made dog food recipes are easy to prepare, and most importantly, you can make them custom-made for your dog. Another benefit of homemade dog foods is that you don’t need anything special. You can make many delicious and healthy recipes from ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Dogs of all breed types love home-cooked meals as these are more healthy and tasty than packaged food. Many people prefer to prepare their dog food at home.
Are you also looking for some easy and delicious dog food recipes? If yes, keep reading on!
Today in this blog, we will tell you about the three homemade dog food recipes. All of these recipes are pretty easy and quick to prepare. They’re also very good for your dog’s health. Plus, your dog will get a good variety of foods in its diet.
Homemade recipes are healthier and also cheaper than store-bought foods. You can add as many veggies or other ingredients as you want, or your new puppy likes to eat. However, you’ve to keep a few things in mind while preparing a meal for your furry friend, such as the nutrient requirements.
As compared to humans, dogs have a slightly different nutrient requirement. To keep your pup healthy, make sure to keep the nutrient needs as per their proportional body size, such as:
- High-quality protein
- Essential fatty acids
What To Feed Your Dog?
You can also give your dog a mixture of good and high-quality dog food with some homemade or natural ingredients. Here are a few ingredients that you can add to your canine’s diet:
- Protein: Beef, Chicken, Tuna, Lamb, Turkey, Pork, Shrimp (fully cooked with the shell removed), Eggs
- Vegetables: Carrots, Sweet Potato, Spinach, Peas Celery, Green beans, Cucumbers, Pumpkin, Corn
- Carbohydrates: Rice, Pasta, Oatmeal, Potatoes,
You can also give your puppy other foods like coconut oil, cottage cheese or yogurt (in small amounts), apples, pineapple, and strawberries.
What Foods To Avoid?
You should NEVER give your dog the below ingredients:
- Coffee & Chocolate
- Raisins & Macadamia nuts
- Onions & Garlic
- Raw yeast dough
- Xylitol and artificial sweeteners
Now let’s move on to the recipe section. So, get ready to prepare some delicious meals for your beloved pet.
Below are three popular homemade dog food recipes that you can try:
1. Delicious Turkey and Brown Rice
This recipe is pretty simple as it can be made up of common ingredients and can be seen in many other homemade dog foods. This food is great and has the right balance of everything, including 50% protein, 25% veggies, and 25% grains.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3 pounds of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup peas (canned or frozen)
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- First, take a large saucepan and put 3 cups of water and rice.
- Put olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven and heat it on medium heat.
- After this, add the turkey and let it cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- After the turkey is cooked and looks browned, crumble it.
- Put carrots, peas, spinach, zucchini, and brown rice together and stir for about 3-5 minutes.
After it cools down, you can give it to your puppy.
2. Easy Crockpot Recipe DIY Dog Food
Is your dog picky about food? If yes, this recipe will work! This is an easy-to-make crockpot recipe that is also good for canines that suffer from food allergies.
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup of green beans
- 3 lbs lean ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup carrots sliced or diced
- 4 cups of water
- 15 oz can kidney beans drained
- 1 cup butternut squash (frozen & precut)
- Please take all the vegetables, rice, and chicken and put them in a crockpot.
- Add water and cook it on either high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
And your dog’s food is ready to serve!
3. Homemade Dog Food Recipe With Lots of Fiber
Is your canine suffering from constipation problems? Give your puppy this homemade dog food which is filled with fiber! That’s because fiber is good for constipation problems. Let’s see what you’ll need and how to prepare this meal for your pup.
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 2 cups Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup Lentils
- 1 lb. Shredded Chicken
- 3 cups Water
- 1 Sweet Potato (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup Chopped Spinach
- 2 tsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Pumpkin Puree
- First, add 3 cups of water and boil turkey and chicken for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- After the meat gets boiled, remove it from the water, and in the same utensil, add lentils, sweet potato, and rice to cook for 15 minutes.
- Lastly, add all the remaining ingredients and meat.
- Serve your puppy this warm and tasty homemade dog food.
The Bottom Line
So, this is all about homemade dog food. All the recipes we mentioned in this post are filled with rich protein, vegetables, and healthy grains. You’ll notice a big difference in your dog’s health and life by giving him a homemade diet.
Homemade dog food prevents diabetes, constipation and diarrhea, obesity, and other gastrointestinal problems. So, give your dog these homemade meals, and your dog will always remain happy and healthy!
For more information on pet care, breeds, or pet foods, visit PetsNurturing.
Follow us on our Instagram page, pets_nurturing, for quick pet care tips and adorable pictures.