In the world of cats, you can find all kinds of cat breeds, from felines with long tails to beautiful fur patterns, and one of them is the Munchkin cat! This cute feline has a unique and attractive appearance that anyone can easily recognize. How? Take a look at its short, stubby legs and elongated body. This is why many people call munchkin cats “Corgi cats” or “Sausage cats. With its cheerful personality and friendly nature, this kitty has captured the hearts of many people around the globe!
Today, in this blog, we will be sharing everything about this breed. From its origin and characteristics to its grooming needs and health issues, we’ve covered all the important details that you should know before adopting a munchkin cat.
What is a munchkin cat?
- From its endearing appearance, this cat breed looks quite unique and attractive due to its short legs and thick, plush coat.
- Even though this breed is new, it has been one of the most popular cat breeds in the world!
- The Munchkin cat was recognized as a breed in 1995 by The International Cat Association (TICA), but it has been around for many years.
Here is the overview table of a Munchkin cat :
Munchkin Cat Breed Overview
Others Name: Sausage Cat
Height: 5 to 7 inches
Weight: 6 to 9 pounds
Lifespan: 12 to 15 years
Temperament: Affectionate, Sociable, and Very adaptable
Shedding Amount: Normal
Coat Length: Short
Colors: Black, Blue, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cream, Tan, Fawn, Lavender, Lilac, Orange, White
Grooming Needs: Low
Good With: Cats, Children, Dogs, Families, Seniors
- There are many speculations regarding the history of this cat breed. From natural genetic mutations to intentional breeding, people believed that it has some mystery.
- The Munchkin cat breed was first developed in the United States in the 1980s.
- In 1983, a woman named Sandra Hochenede first discovered a pregnant cat with short legs in Louisiana and called her ‘Blackberry.’
- Later, she renamed these short-legged felines ‘Munchkins,’ inspired by the tiny creatures in the movie ‘The Wizard of Oz.’
- Apart from TICA, this breed is also recognized by the American Cat Fanciers Association (ACFA).
- However, this breed has several health issues due to its short limbs and legs; this is why the Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) and the American Cat Fanciers Association (ACFA) don’t recognize them as an official breed.
What does a Munchkin cat look like?
- Just one interaction with these fluffy cats, you’ll know how lovely and friendly they are!
- Apart from their famous short legs, this cat breed has other distinct features as well, such as striking and unique coat colors, oval-shaped eyes, and sturdy body.
- These cats are available in various coat colors and patterns, including tabby, calico, and bicolor.
- They have medium-sized ears which are always alert and upright.
- They have eyes, usually in green, blue, or gold, which look gorgeous and expressive, making them adorable and charming.
How big does a munchkin cat get?
After looking at the picture of a short-legged feline, many of us start to think, “How big is a munchkin cat, or will their legs get any bigger?
- The munchkin cat is classified as a small-medium cat breed, and as usual, male felines are a bit bigger than females.
- These cats have short but plush coats, which is why they appear big and fluffy.
Here is the size chart for munchkin cat:
|Age||Weight Range||Height Range|
|3 months||3–5 pounds||4–5 inches|
|6 months||4–6 pounds||4–6 inches|
|9 months||5–8 pounds||4–6 inches|
|12 months||6–8 pounds||5–8 inches|
- As we already mentioned, munchkin felines are sociable, calm, and friendly pets who literally get along with anybody.
- These cats are playful and affectionate, so they become instantly attached to their owners. So, you might find your Munchkin kitty being cuddled in your arms or lap often.
- These kitties are curious and always try to explore their surroundings.
- They also enjoy interacting with kids and other animals, like dogs and hamsters.
- The best thing is that these felines are adaptable, which means they can easily live comfortably in houses and apartments.
Here is the characteristic table of munchkin cat:
|Munchkin Cat Characteristics|
|Tendency to Vocalize||Medium|
- As compared to other felines, due to short legs, they usually struggle to clean the hard-to-reach areas of their body. This is why weekly cat grooming is required.
- They have short hair, which needs low to medium grooming and maintenance.
- They don’t need frequent bathing, but their nails should be trimmed, and teeth brushed regularly.
- You can also brush once every week or two to prevent hairballs and matting.
Diet and Nutrition
- These cats might appear smaller as compared to average felines, but still, they need proper diet and nutrition to stay healthy.
- You should feed your Munchkin kitty the same amount of food that you would normally feed other cats if you have them.
- Select a good-quality cat food that is high in protein and low in carbohydrates. On the basis of your feline’s age and health, feed them at least twice a day.
- Sometimes, cats act clumsy and lazy to get more food from you. However, don’t overfeed them, as they are prone to obesity and other health problems.
- Also, while selecting the treats, check for the high nutritional value.
- Always provide fresh, clean water to your munchkin cat.
If you have dietary or health concerns about your feline, you can consult a veterinarian for guidance. They will prepare a proper and balanced diet plan for your cat specific to their age, health, and other needs.
How long does a munchkin cat live?
On average the munchkin cat’s lifespan is about 10 to 15 years.
Do Munchkin cats have a lot of health issues?
Overall, munchkins are a healthy cat breed; however, just like other breeds, it also affected by a few medical concerns, such as:
- Lordosis (curvature of the spine)
- Pectus excavatum (sunken chest)
- Patellar luxation (slipping kneecaps).
- Leg Issues (Arthritis)
- Respiratory Issues (Breathing difficulty)
- Heart Disease
To keep your munchkin kitty happy, it’s vital to take them to a veterinarian regularly for vaccination, parasite control, and proper examination. These health checkups will keep you updated about your cat’s overall health.
Munchkin Cat Price
How much does a munchkin cat cost?
You can get a munchkin cat at a cost between $500 to $2000 or sometimes more. The pricing usually depends on various factors, such as the cat’s age, health condition, coat color, and the breeder’s reputation.
Where to buy a munchkin cat?
You can search Google for, ‘munchkin cat near me,’ and you’ll get multiple pet shop recommendations near your living area. However, make sure to get them only from a reputable breeder. If you want a munchkin kitty at an affordable price, you can also contact adoption centers or rescue shelters.
Yes, Munchkin cats can live around 12 to 15 years if properly cared for and provided a balanced diet and nutrition along with a happy, homely environment.
As compared to other cat breeds, munchkin cats are considered expensive. The average price of a munchkin kitten can range from anywhere from $500 to $2,000 or more.
Munchkin cats are adorable and sociable. They’re good with children and other pets, making them excellent family pets. However, these felines do suffer from several health problems due to their short legs.
Final Verdict :
The Munchkin cat breed is unique in itself. From its appearance to its friendly personality, these cats are perfect family pets and best companions. They also have low grooming and training requirements. With the right diet plan, proper healthcare, and lots of love, these cats can make your life happy!
So, if you’re in search of a cute, cuddly fur friend, don’t think too much and get a munchkin cat right away!
In Case You Missed It!