Having a cat can create an overwhelming situation for you. It is nearly impossible to keep your cat sane indoors. Cats are the creature that likes to hunt and have this quality in their genes. They love the outdoors the most. So it is best if you have an outdoor cat house in your backyard or an open area. However, as a pet parent, you will be worried about the weather conditions and other possible harmful elements.
The health and long life of your cat are the most important things to consider. Change in weather can make them ill easily, they are sensitive like babies only. Also, the fear of predators keeping an eye on your little kitten will always be there. So what’s the solution?
Here in this article, we have mentioned points to consider before buying an outdoor cat house. Along with them, you will find a description and review of seven products from Amazon.com. Without much further ado, let’s get going!
Outdoor Cat House: Points to Consider While Buying
This is the very first factor to consider while buying an outdoor cat house. Check with your kitten’s size and how many you have. They like to have a confined space themselves. You have to consider getting a bigger house than their house so that they can easily move within their new home.
Would you make your house that can’t even stand the harshness of one season? No, right? So while getting the cat’s house, check about the material and its quality. The durability of the house will depend on that only. You will find a house made of wood, plastic, and even fabric. (Make choices accordingly.)
We always look for the emergency exit, in case of danger. The same is with cats. They need to have an escape route to save themselves from predators. So try to have a house with two doors. Yet we have heard, many owners claim that some single door houses are also predator-proof.
Check if the house you are going for that can protect your little kitty from wind and rain. Also, this feature is to consider on the basis of your space you are going to keep it. For example, if you are planning to set up a cat house under the shelter in the porch area, you have the liberty to skip this one.
Check whether the house has the insulation done or if it has the heat pad included with the package. No matter where you set up the house, cats will need a heating pad to keep themselves warm during cold weather and survive throughout the season.
Do you know? Cats can catch frostbite at a temperature below 32 Fahrenheit.
The last two features are for you. You have to make sure assembling it is easy and not a heck of a task. Also, you might consider getting all the essentials of its house in the advance, so that it can move in as soon as the house is ready.
7. Ease of Cleaning
Your cat can’t clean the house on its own, so check whether cleaning is an easy task or not. To make her feel secure, you will have to keep the house clean and safe. You know cats like to stay clean and up-to-date.
These are the features you have to consider before buying an outdoor cat house. Now let’s move on to the cat house products that we chose considering the above factors in the account.
What to expect? – A list of products with descriptions and reviews from Amazon.
Outdoor Cat House from Amazon:
Built with cedarwood, it has durability against rain as well as wind. With this outdoor cat enclosure, you will be able to give them a safer place to stay and enjoy. The paint on this house is natural and non-harmful, so don’t worry if your cat accidentally eats or licks the design. Petsfit has put a lot of thought while designing this one.
- 27.5″ L x 17.5″ W x 20″ H
- Wood with natural cedar paint
- The plastic flap on the back as an escape door
- Doesn’t come with insulation (but comes with a hole for the heating pad connection)
- Easy to assemble and clean
- “So easy to assemble parts are marked and sorted for you saves tons of time going together fast kitties seem to love it. It’s super cute” – Amazon Customer.
Insulation is something that helps your kitty to stay warm in the winters. So getting one with it is always beneficial. Here in this K&H product, the model has two variations heated and unheated, you can get according to your preference. If you live in a place where winters are not that harsh, unheated might work just be perfect for you! It has 40 watts of MET Safety Listed heated bed for the insulation.
- 24″ L x 19″ W x 18″ H
- 2 plastic flaps
- Weatherproof material
- Soft bedding with a heating pad (removable and washable)
- Easy to assemble
- Hassle-free cleaning
- “Have used these for a few years now and the outside feral cats love these. They are protected from the elements and it keeps them safe and warm. Very easy to assemble and clean. Extremely sturdy.” – Clyde P. Alexander
Don’t you think pets should have fun too? When going to a family picnic or camping, why should they get excluded? The first reason is their stay. So here’s the solution – ToysOpoly’s playpen. It is light-weighted and can easily be carried in a car or with your luggage. This one is foldable, along with pet camping gear it also works as an outdoor enclosure for cats and dogs both.
- 45″ W x 22” L
- 600D oxford cloth material
- 2 zippered roll-up doors
- Fully waterproof
- Lightweight & portable
- No need to assemble (foldable)
- Easy to clean
- “Love this for my foster kittens. It gives them the room they need to play, grow…while also ensuring their safety. Easy to use, assemble, and clean. Highly recommended.” – MCath
Do you have two to three kittens at home? Are they very much close and have a sister-like bond? Don’t worry we found a perfect apartment for them. This one again is from Petsfit (just like the first one!). The difference is remarkable – this one’s a 2-story house. They have a little terrace-like place to chill and stairs to reach there.
- 19” L X 19” W X 11” H (room dimension)
- 30” L x 22” W x 29” H (outer dimension)
- 12mm panels of Cedarwood
- 2 doors for an easy escape
- Easy to assemble and clean
- “Easy to put together and the kittens tested it inside the house. Seems like they approve. It’s very small though, you can see how small from the outdoor pic compared to the chairs. So may not be best suited for larger cats.” – Holly
This cute little igloo-shaped condo is what your cat will like or maybe you too. The dome structure helps it prevent rainwater and snow from getting stuck on the roof. This one is from Petmate, a brand that is producing eco-friendly condos and houses for pets for the past 50 years.
- 26″ L x 25.3″ W x 18.5″ H
- Non-porous plastic construction
- Single door
- Insulation (specially designed to provide warmth to pets)
- Easy to assemble (no tools required)
- Hassle-free cleaning
- “What a great little igloo!! Sturdy, easy to assemble, and weatherproof. A++” – Donate Dal Cielo
Here are two other products that you might want to take a look at:-
This was all for the outdoor cat house. Here in this blog, you read about the features to consider while buying one for your kitty and five detailed product descriptions with a verified review (from Amazon).
Apart from them, we mentioned two other products that are on par with the above ones. Check out the details and finalize which one is the best. For more pet product information, visit PetsNurturing.