It is a cross between two of the most popular dog breeds in the world – the German Shepherd and the Border Collie.
This hybrid breed is a popular dog breed known for its intelligence, loyalty, and high energy levels. The German shepherd collie mix, or Shollie, has a unique mix of traits from its parents’ breed. These pups have gained immense popularity around the globe with their versatility, trainability, and affectionate nature.
However, before adopting a border collie and German shepherd mix, it’s important to do your research on the breed. Don’t worry; you don’t have to go anywhere; keep reading this post!
Today in this blog, we will explain complete breed information about the German Shepherd Border Collie mix. We’ve covered everything from its history and appearance to its training needs and health problems.
So, Let’s dive into the world of the German Shepherd Border Collie mix!
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Overview
What is a German Shepherd Border Collie mix? What do you call a German Shepherd Border Collie mix?
- The German Shepherd Border Collie mix is a hybrid breed that combines the best qualities of two popular breeds.
- The German Shepherd Collie mix is also known as Shollie, Collie Shepherd, or Border Collie German Shepherd Mix.
- This dog breed is intelligent, loyal, and energetic, making them great pets for active families.
- These loving and playful dogs show affection and care toward their owners.
- They require plenty of exercise and mental stimulation and thrive in environments where they find something to play or run.
- Shollie is not suited to living in a small apartment situation. These canines need spacious outdoor spaces for exercise sessions.
Here is the overview table of the German Shepherd Border Collie mix puppy:
|Quick Breed Summary Table|
|Breed Type||Mixes and more|
|Other Names||Shollie, Collie Shepherd, Border Collie German Shepherd Mix|
|Size:||21 to 27 inches tall|
|Coat:||Medium-length, straight, dense coats|
|Color:||Black, white, brown, tan, cream, and sable|
|Do They Shed:||Yes.|
|Temperament:||Highly energetic, loyal, loving, and protective.|
|Intelligence:||Very intelligent and highly trainable.|
|Socialization:||Needs lots of socialization with people and other dogs|
|Destructive Behavior:||Prone to chewing|
|People Skills:||Great with people but can be protective of family|
|Good with Children:||Yes, but should never be left alone with young children|
|Good with Pets:||Yes, with proper socialization|
|Activity Levels:||High activity levels, minimum of 2 hours of exercise per day|
|Suitable For:||Active families|
|Good for First-Time Owners:||No; best suited for experienced dog owners|
To understand the Border Collie and German Shepherd mix in-depth, first we have to look into its parents’ breed.
German Shepherd Collie Mix Parents Breeds
- The German Shepherd is a large breed that originated in Germany.
- These canines are known for their strength, loyalty, and protective instincts.
- This purebred ranks 2 of 193 for popularity in America.
- From the military to the police, these dogs have worked with government officials.
- On the other hand, Border Collies are medium-sized dogs that originated in the Scottish Borders.
- These canines are known for their intelligence, agility, and herding abilities.
- This breed was first recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1995.
- Today, border collies rank 38 out of 193 for popularity in the United States.
When you mix these two smart and active breeds together, you get a dog that’s intelligent, athletic, and loyal.
- The German Shepherd Border Collie mix is a relatively new breed and has only been recognized for about 20 years. So, there isn’t a lot of information available on its history.
- However, we can look at the histories of the parent breeds to get an idea of where these dogs come from.
- German Shepherds were originally bred in the late 19th century as working dogs for herding and guarding.
- Border Collies were also bred as working dogs for herding sheep in the Scottish Borders.
- Today, both breeds are popular as pets and working dogs around the world.
German Shepherd Collie Mix Appearance
What does a German Shepherd Border Collie mix look like?
Just one glance at the above picture, and you’ll immediately fall in love with this dog.
- Shollie is a medium to large-sized dog, but its appearance can vary. It usually depends on which parent breed they take after more.
- These canines have a muscular build and a well-proportioned body.
- They have a straight, strong back, and their ears can be either erect or floppy.
- Their eyes are typically brown, and they have a sturdy, athletic appearance.
- This hybrid breed weighs about 70 to 80 pounds and stands in height between 21 and 29 inches.
How big will a German Shepherd Border Collie mix get?
Here is the size chart of the Border Collie German Shepherd Mix:
|Shollie Size chart|
|Age (months)||Male Weight (lbs)||Female Weight (lbs)||Male Height (inches)||Female Height (inches)|
|2||20 – 30||15 – 25||14 – 17||12 – 15|
|4||30 – 45||25 – 35||18 – 21||16 – 19|
|6||45 – 60||35 – 50||22 – 25||20 – 23|
|8||55 – 75||45 – 65||24 – 27||22 – 25|
|10||60 – 80||50 – 70||25 – 28||23 – 26|
|12||65 – 90||55 – 75||26 – 29||24 – 27|
|14||70 – 95||60 – 80||27 – 30||25 – 28|
|16||75 – 100||65 – 85||28 – 31||26 – 29|
|18||80 – 105||70 – 90||29 – 32||27 – 30|
|20||85 – 110||75 – 100||30 – 33||28 – 31|
German Shepherd Collie Mix Coat Colors
German Shepherd Border Collie mix puppies are available in various coat colors, including:
- Blue Merle
- Black and tan
- Black and white
The coat colors of this hybrid breed can vary widely from solid colors to combinations of two or more colors.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Temperament
Are German Shepherd and Border Collie mixes aggressive? What is the temperament of a German Shepherd Border Collie mix?
You might be wondering how these hybrid dogs behave. It’s vital to determine the potential suitability of any dog breed as a member of your family. No worries, just like its parents, a German Shepherd Border Collie mix is also quite friendly and intelligent.
- These canines are well known for their loyal, devoted, and protective nature.
- A Shollie is filled with high energy and always up for new adventures and games.
- They are friendly and affectionate with their families but alert and suspicious around strangers. This is why proper socialization is required.
- These lovely dogs love attention and need plenty of mental and physical stimulation. Otherwise, they get easily bored and may turn destructive.
Now let’s see how to take care of a Border Collie and German Shepherd mix.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Grooming
Thinking about What are the grooming requirements for German Shepherd Border Collie mixes? Well, here’s the answer:
- German Shepherd Collie mix has a straight, dense, medium-length coat. However, if the puppy takes after their German Shepherd parent, it will be a double coat.
- These canines need brushing at least twice a week to maintain a healthy and shiny coat and prevent matting.
- Give your Shollie a bath every 2-3 months or whenever it is needed.
- Border Collie German Shepherd mix is moderate to heavy shedders. So frequent brushing is required during shedding seasons, usually occurring twice a year.
- Apart from brushing and bathing, these canines also need regular nail trimming and ear and teeth checkups every 1-2 months.
Keep in mind that the grooming needs of your German Shepherd Border Collie mix may vary. So it’s important to consult a professional groomer and follow a grooming routine according to your dog’s coat type, activity level, and overall condition.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Exercise Needs
- Shollie is a high-energy breed; hence these canines require plenty of exercise on a regular basis.
- They need both physical and mental stimulation to stay healthy and happy.
These dogs love:
- Flyball and other outdoor activities.
How much exercise does a German Shepherd Border Collie mix need?
Shollie needs at least 60 to 120 minutes of daily exercise is essential for their well-being.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Training
How intelligent are German Shepherd Border Collie mixes?
- As mentioned, German Shepherd Border Collie mixes are highly intelligent and active.
- They’re also quite easily trainable; however, it is recommended to begin early training.
- They can take obedience training, agility training, and other types of dog sports.
- These canines respond well to positive reinforcement training and enjoy learning new skills and tricks.
Border Collie and German Shepherd Mix Food Habits
- Like all dog breeds, the Border Collie German Shepherd mix requires a balanced diet that meets its nutritional needs.
- Give your beloved puppy high-quality dog food with appropriate amounts of protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates.
- You can also add other high-quality protein sources, like chicken, beef, or fish.
- Include fruit and vegetables, dairy, and eggs in your pup’s meal.
- These canines are prone to obesity, so don’t overfeed your German Shepherd Border Collie mix.
Here is the general feeding chart for a German Shepherd Border Collie mix puppy:
|Weight of Dog||Daily Food Amount|
|25-35 pounds||1.5-2.5 cups|
|36-50 pounds||2.5-3.5 cups|
|51-75 pounds||3.5-4.5 cups|
|76-100 pounds||4.5-5.5 cups|
German Shepherd Collie Mix Health Problems
Are German Shepherd Border Collie mixes prone to any health issues?
The German Shepherd Border Collie mix is a relatively healthy breed, but like all dogs, they can be prone to certain health problems.
Some common issues include
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
- Progressive retinal atrophy
- Degenerative Myelopathy
Keep in mind that not all German Shepherd and Border Collie mixes will experience these health issues. Regular veterinary checkups, proper care, a balanced diet, and exercise can help maintain the health and well-being of your beloved puppy.
Border Collie German Shepherd Mix Lifespan
What is the average lifespan of a German Shepherd Border Collie mix?
The average lifespan of a German Shepherd Border Collie mix is about 13 to 15 years. However, this can depend on other factors such as genetics, overall health, and individual care.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Cost
How much does a Border Collie German Shepherd Mix Cost?
The price of German Shepherd is between $350 to $375, while Border Collie costs around $600 to $800. So, a German Shepherd Border Collie mix puppy is available at around $500 to $1500.
However, the price can vary widely depending on factors such as where you live, the breeder you choose, and the age of the dog. If you’re looking for German Shepherd Border Collie mix puppies for sale, you can search online for local German Shepherd Border Collie mix breeders, adoption centers, and rescue clubs. Apart from the initial buying cost, there will also be other expenses such as food, veterinary care, and grooming.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Pros & Cons
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of owning a German Shepherd Border Collie mix puppy:
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Facts
Here are some interesting facts about Shollie:
- The German Shepherd Collie mix is an incredibly intelligent and smart dog breed.
- They inherit great qualities and characteristics from their parent breeds, German Shepherd and Border Collie.
- These canines excel in various activities, including obedience training, agility, and search and rescue tasks.
- These dogs have a natural instinct to herd because of their heritage as herding breeds.
- Collie Shepherds have fast running speed, making them great for dog sports like flyball, disc dog competitions, and dock diving.
- These dogs are also excellent as search and rescue, therapy work, and assistance dogs.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix FAQ
1. Do German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Get Along with Other Dogs?
Yes, with proper socialization and training, these canines can get along with other dogs in the household.
2. Can German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Live in Apartments?
No, a Shollie can’t live in a small space like an apartment. These dogs need large outdoor areas for running, playing, and doing other physical activities.
3. How Much Exercise Do German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Need?
German Shepherd Collie mixes require plenty of exercises and mental stimulation to stay healthy and happy. They need at least 60-120 minutes of exercise. Apart from this, other outdoor activities like hiking, running, and herding are also recommended.
4. Are German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Good Guard Dogs?
Yes, these dogs are naturally protective and can make excellent guard dogs with proper training.
5. Do German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Bark a Lot?
Fortunately, this dog isn’t the type of dog breed that barks for no reason. These canines are calm, friendly, and polite. However, they bark to alert their owners if they sense danger in their surroundings.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix: Final Thoughts
German Shepherd Collie mix is a highly energetic, playful, and affectionate dog. They need lots of exercise and mental stimulation with proper socialization and training.
Now, you know everything about the full grown German Shepherd Border Collie mix, such as How big do German Shepherd Border Collie mixes get, whether these canines are good pets or not, and many other important details. So, whether you like a black German shepherd border collie mix or another colored one, one thing is sure a Shollie is a great addition to your family.
I hope this guide on the German Shepherd Border Collie mix breed has given you all the information and helped you before making the final decision.
More from The Petsnurturing
- German Shepherd Australian Shepherd Mix Facts, Character
- German Shepherd Lab Mix Dog Breed Facts, Care, Size, Traits
- German Shepherd Husky Mix: Characteristics, Facts, History
- German Shepherd Doberman Mix Information and Facts
- German Shepherd Poodle Mix: Information, Facts
To know more about pet-related information such as healthcare, food habits, training, exercise needs, and grooming advice, explore PetsNurturing.
Follow us on our Instagram page, petsnurturing, for daily pet care tips.