Do you want to adopt a German Shepherd Husky mix? The parent breeds of this dog, German Shepherd and Siberian Husky, have been quite popular for a long time, and the crossbreed result is also incredible. Here is all the information about the Husky German Shepherd mix, such as breed history, health, puppy cost, personality, and more!
- What is a German Shepherd Husky Mix?
- Gerberian Shepsky History : Where Do They Come From?
- Physical Appearance : What Does a German Shepherd Husky Mix Look Like?
- Gerberian Shepsky Size : How Big Do German Shepherd Husky Mix Get?
- German Shepherd Husky Mix : Coat Colors
- German Shepherd Husky Mix : Temperament
- How To Take Care of German Shepherd Husky Mix?
- Grooming : How Much Grooming Do German Shepherd Husky Mixes Need?
- Exercise: How Much Exercise Does a German Shepherd Husky Mix Need?
- Training: How to Train a German Shepherd Husky Mix Puppy?
- Diet : What to Feed Husky German Shepherd Mixes?
- Do German Shepherd Husky Mix Have Health Problems?
- Gerberian Shepsky Cost : How Much is a German Shepherd Husky Mix?
Can we have a dog that looks like a wolf but acts like a loyal and loving companion?
Yes, it is possible!
Today both German Shepherd and Husky are one of the most popular breeds across the globe. So, what happens when you mix them together? You’ll get a German Shepherd Husky mix Breed!
The Husky German Shepherd mix is a designer breed with characteristics of both parent breeds. With their cute smile, stunning looks, and friendly personality, these canines can easily capture the hearts of hundreds of people.
So, what is the name of Husky and German Shepherd mix puppies? What is a German Shepherd Husky mix called?
German Shepherd Siberian Husky mix dogs are also known as Husky Shepherd, Siberian Shepherd, or German Husky.
Are you planning to adopt a German Shepherd and Husky mix, or do you already own one and just want to know more about this hybrid breed? Whatever the case, we’re here to help you!
So, get ready to get lots of information about this active and fierce-looking dog breed.
Let’s dive in.
What is a German Shepherd Husky Mix?
Only a few people are brave enough to keep wolves as a pet, but when it comes to normal people, they just prefer the wolf characteristics in their pets, such as courage, confidence, and fierceness.
Here comes the german shepherd mixed with husky!
Let’s first talk about its parent breeds: German Shepherd and Siberian Husky. These two pure dog breeds are crossed to create a “specialized” dog breed. The crossbreeding results in a unique and strikingly beautiful dog that is also highly intelligent and trainable.
This new hybrid dog breed, also known as the Gerberian Shepsky or Shepsky, inherited the character, appearance, personality, and traits of its parent breed and became one of the most loved breeds in the world.
These dogs are protective, watchful, curious, and sometimes stubborn. However, with the right training and socialization, you can train them well, and they will act as the nicest dogs. This is why there has been an increase in the popularity of this breed in recent years.
Here is the overview table of the Husky German Shepherd mix:
German Shepherd Husky Mix Breed Overview
Breed Name : German Shepherd Husky Mix (Gerberian Shepsky)
Breed Group: Working
Height: 20–25 inches
Weight: 45–88 pounds
Lifespan: 10–14 years
Coat: Double-coated, Medium-long and Thick
Color: Brown, Black, White, Cream, White, Blue, and Red, or a mixture of two or more colors.
Temperament: Intelligent, Loyal, Devoted, High-energy, and Confident
Needs for Grooming: Moderate
Origin: United States
Now, let’s learn in-depth more about the adorable German Shepherd Siberian Husky mix puppies.
Gerberian Shepsky History : Where Do They Come From?
Let’s look into the Husky German Shepherd mix origins.
- As we already mentioned, this is a new designer dog breed; hence, very little information is available.
- The exact origins of the German Shepherd Husky mix are unknown, but it is believed that it was developed in the United States in the late 1980s.
- The resulting breed has the characteristics like loyalty and intelligence of the German Shepherd and appearance just like the Siberian Husky.
- As both the parent breeds are working, this breed was also used as working or watchdogs. Later they become lovable domestic dogs.
- Despite their short and not-so-accurate history, husky mixed with german shepherd are increasingly common among Americans.
- Unfortunately, Gerberian Shepsky or Shepsky is NOT recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) or any other major breed registry.
Physical Appearance : What Does a German Shepherd Husky Mix Look Like?
- It’s quite obvious that when you mix two completely different dog breeds together, you’ll surely get something similar and something completely different. The same happens with this designer dog breed.
- Husky and German Shepherd mix is a medium to large-sized dog.
- These dogs are active and have a muscular and athletic build.
- A full grown German Shepherd Husky mix stands 20 to 25 inches tall at the shoulder and weighs between 50 and 90 pounds.
- Another cute characteristic of this breed is their deep, bright blue or brown eyes and triangular ears.
- Gerberian Shepsky also has a broad chest, strong legs, and a thick, bushy tail.
- However, remember that every litter is different and can have different traits and appearance than their German Shepherd Husky mix parents.
Gerberian Shepsky Size : How Big Do German Shepherd Husky Mix Get?
Here is the size and weight table of the German Shepherd Siberian Husky mix:
|Male||22–25 inches||55–80 pounds|
|Female||20–22 inches||45–60 pounds|
Look at the growth chart of Gerberian Shepsky puppy growth chart:
|2–4 months||10–25 pounds|
|4–6 months||25–40 pounds|
|6–8 months||40–55 pounds|
|8–10 months||50–60 pounds|
|10–12 months||55–65 pounds|
|12–18 months||60–70 pounds|
|18–24 months||70-75+ pounds|
The size and weight of German Shepherd Husky mix puppies can depend on various factors, including genetics, diet and nutrition, selective breeding, injuries, and health issues.
German Shepherd Husky Mix : Coat Colors
Here are some of the popular coat colors of the German Shepherd and Husky mix:
- Or it could be a mixture of two or more colors.
German Shepherd Husky Mix : Temperament
A dog can express much more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours!
So, how smart are German Shepherd Husky mix?
- The German Shepherd Husky mixes are highly active, smart, and mischievous.
- However, despite these qualities, these cuties are known for their protective and stubborn nature, which is actually not completely true.
- In fact, these canines are very affectionate and loving towards their families.
- With the right training and early socialization, they become the best family pets on this planet.
- As their parent breeds are highly energetic and active, the German Shepherd Husky mix is also playful and active. So, what do you call a German Shepherd husky mix – friendly, protective, or both?
How To Take Care of German Shepherd Husky Mix?
It’s not only about the Husky German Shepherd mixes but also about all the other breeds. Knowing how to take care of pets is vital so your beloved pup can comfortably live in the current circumstances.
Here is how you can take care of your Gerberian Shepsky dog:
Grooming : How Much Grooming Do German Shepherd Husky Mixes Need?
- Gerberian Shepsky dogs have a thick double coat available in so many gorgeous colors.
- Due to this, you need to brush their coat at least 2–3 times a week. Also, these canines are a moderate shedder.
Before adopting a Husky and German Shepherd mix puppy, check whether your family doesn’t have any type of dog allergies or not. If anyone has, get a hypoallergenic dog, not this one!
- These dogs usually shed heavily twice a year, so they need more brushing and grooming during this period.
Exercise: How Much Exercise Does a German Shepherd Husky Mix Need?
- Be ready to provide lots and lots of exercise to your German Shepherd Husky mix puppy.
- Both parents of this breed are from working breed groups, so it’s quite obvious to have the same exercise requirements.
- These canines love outdoor activities like running, hiking, and playing fetch.
- These dogs are not suitable for apartment living. There should be a large, fenced outdoor space for your pup to play and run.
- They need at least 60 to 120 minutes of exercise every day.
Training: How to Train a German Shepherd Husky Mix Puppy?
- This breed is one of the intelligent and smart breeds, and they’re quite easy to train.
- With the positive reinforcement training methods, Gerberian Shepsky easily learns all the instructions and complex tasks.
- However, these canines can sometimes act stubborn and easily get bored. But don’t take this as a challenge.
- With the help of a positive, reward-centered training technique and fun toys, you can teach your pup many things.
- So, the key to training a German Shepherd Husky mix dog is to keep these sessions interesting and stimulating.
Diet : What to Feed Husky German Shepherd Mixes?
Do you know what food you can give to this breed and what not? Let’s know about a Husky and German Shepherd mix dog diet in detail:
- Gerberian Shepsky has a healthy appetite and hence requires a healthy diet.
- Give your pup high-quality, protein-rich food to maintain their muscle mass and energy levels.
- You can also consult the vet and get a specific diet plan for your Husky Shepherd, depending on its health and energy levels.
- Depending on the size and age of the puppy, you can increase or decrease the amount of food.
- Ensure you’re giving them high-quality dog food containing 25%-30% proteins.
|Gerberian Shepsky Diet Chart|
|Adult German Shepherd Husky mixes||1700–2400 calories per day|
|Senior Husky German Shepherd mixes||1300–1600 calories per day|
AVOID giving a German Shepherd Husky mixes the foods such as garlic, chives, onions, alcohol, caffeine, grapes, raisins, and sultanas.
Do German Shepherd Husky Mix Have Health Problems?
As dog owners, we may have several questions, such as how long do German Shepherd Husky mix live and whether these canines suffer from serious health problems.
Even though the Gerberian Shepsky is a relatively healthy breed and the German Shepherd Husky mix lifespan is around 10 to 14 years, they still have a few medical conditions, just like any other breed.
Here are some of the common health issues:
- Elbow and hip dysplasia
- Juvenile cataracts.
- Corneal dystrophy
- Gastric Dilatation Volvulus (GDV)
- Anal furunculosis.
- Progressive retinal atrophy (PRA)
- Von Willebrand’s Disease (vWD).
- Chronic Degenerative Radiculomyopathy (CDR).
- Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI).
Besides the above health issues, German Shepherd Husky mixes may also suffer from other medical conditions such as impaired thyroid function, nasal cavity tumors, dwarfism, footpad disorders, and eczema.
With regular health check-ups and good care, it is easier to detect any type of medical issue at an early stage and get the right treatment.
Now let’s know how much is a husky German Shepherd mix.
Gerberian Shepsky Cost : How Much is a German Shepherd Husky Mix?
The average German Shepherd Husky mix price is between $500 and $1,500.
However, the cost depends on several factors such as breeders, location, demand, puppy’s health and history, and pedigree of the pup’s parents. So the pricing can vary.
So, where to buy a German Shepherd Husky mix puppy?
- There are many places that offer German Shepherd Husky mix puppies for sale. Always get your pooch from a reputable breeder.
- You can also adopt them from rescue centers, clubs, or local adoption centers. However, ensure to get a written medical certificate of your puppy and his parent breeds.
German Shepherd Husky Mix FAQs
Yes, the Gerberian Shepsky is a great family dog and behaves well with children and other pets. However, proper training and socialization is necessary.
This breed requires a lot of exercise and should be given at least 1 -2 hours of outdoor physical activity daily.
No, this breed is not well-suited to apartment living. These dogs need a large, fenced yard or outdoor space to freely run and play.
Yes! These hybrid dogs can become loving family pets with proper training and early socialization.
No! This designer breed has thick double coats, and shaving can cause various skin-related problems.
So, this is all about the German Shepherd Husky mix. These curious, playful, and active dogs are a great choice for owners who can spend at least 1-2 hours with them every day. They are good dogs and great family pets, but still, training and supervision near small kids are required.
Now, you know everything about the German Shepherd Husky mix, so what are you waiting for? Get a German Shepherd Husky mix puppy ASAP!
I hope this guide gives you all the required German Shepherd Husky mix breed information and helps you before making the final decision.
For additional insights :