We’re again here with another dog breed information about a brave and faithful canine who is popular worldwide. However, the most interesting fact about this canine is that it looks like a Leopard (they have a leopard-like coat pattern). Yes, we’re talking about the Catahoula Leopard Dog!
Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, more commonly known as a Catahoula or Catahoula Leopard Cur or the Catahoula Hog Dog, is native to Louisiana, the United States. Initially created as a herding and hunting dog, today these puppies are loved as pets all over the world.
Catahoula leopards are playful and friendly and are great family pets and companions for a lifetime. They can easily make a deep and strong bond with their human family and protect them at any cost. They love running and playing with their hooman, so they need an active environment for living. With the right training and proper care, these pups will make your life happy and complete.
So, if you’re planning to adopt a Catahoula leopard puppy or already have one but don’t know much about its breed, keep reading! Today in this blog, we will discuss everything about the Catahoula Leopard Dog breeders. From its characteristics and personality to its health problems and lifespan, we’ve covered every important detail you need to know about this dog breed.
Catahoula Leopard Dog Overview
What is a Catahoula Leopard Dog?
- Catahoula Leopards are versatile dogs originally developed for herding and hunting.
- This is why they’re excellent as watchdogs and guard dogs.
- This is one of the most loyal, courageous, and independent breeds.
- These pups can easily win anyone’s heart with their unique personality and striking appearance.
- These canines behaved well with children, elders, and other pets, making them excellent family pets.
Here is the overview table of the Catahoula Leopard Dog:
Dog Breeds Overview
Breed Group: Herding group
Height: 22 to 24 inches
Lifespan: 10 to 14 years
Coat Colors: Black, gold / yellow, red, brindle
Temperament: Aloof, protective, willful
Sheeding : Lightly to Moderately
Needs for Grooming: Normal
Origin: Louisiana, U.S.A.
Now let’s look into the history and origin of this adorable dog breed.
What breeds make a Catahoula Leopard Dog?
- To know about this dog breed, we need to look into its origin and history.
- This canine has a fascinating history, as its origins are still unknown. However, some believe this breed first started in the mid-1500s in Louisiana, U.S.
- To create this breed, native Louisiana dogs were bred with European breeds brought over to America by European and Spanish explorers.
So, what is a Catahoula Leopard Dog mixed with?
Catahoula Leopard breed is mixed with the following breeds:
- Hound dogs
- Catahoulas are highly active and energetic dogs.
- These canines are intelligent and generally calm rather than aggressive. However, these puppies don’t like being outside for a long time.
- They’re perfect as watchdogs and companions. With love and affection, they will become your protector for a lifetime.
- Catahoula Leopard Dogs can sometimes become stubborn and territorial; hence proper training and socialization are necessary from an early age.
- This breed is great for pet owners with houses with large, fenced yards, as they require daily exercise and playtime.
Here are the characteristics of the Catahoula Leopard Dog:
|Tendency to Bark||Low|
- Just one glance at these canines, and you’ll know why people call them the ‘Leopard’ dogs. They have a wonderful appearance with friendly nature. They have a unique leopard pattern making them easily noticeable among other dog breeds.
- Catahoula Leopard dogs are medium to large breed dogs with muscular physiques.
- Catahoulas come with unique coat colors and patterns so that anyone can notice them from afar.
- People are not only attracted to this breed only due to its appearance but also because of their working and herding abilities.
- These dogs have adorable light-colored eyes in blue, hazel, amber, and brown colors.
These canines are usually available in solid colors; you can also find them in various colors and patterns. However, finding one can be a bit challenging.
Catahoula leopard dogs are available in the following colors:
- Blue merle
- Red merle
- White merle
- Yellow merle
Dog Size & Weight
As a loving pawrent, you might be wondering: How big does a Catahoula Leopard Dog get?
- This is a medium to large-sized dog breed with a short, smooth coat.
- When it comes to size, the female ones are smaller as compared to male Catahoula Leopards.
- So, if you’re looking for a large breed dog and have a large and fenced outdoor space at your home, Catahoula Leopard Dog will be a great choice!
Here is the size table of the Catahoula Leopard Dog:
|Height (Male):||24 inches tall|
|Height (Female):||20 inches tall|
|Weight (male):||90 pounds, fully grown|
|Weight (female):||65 pounds, fully grown|
There are also different Catahoula Leopard Dog mixes available, including:
- Labahoula (Labrador Retriever and Catahoula)
- Cataheeler (Catahoula and Blue Heeler)
- Beagahoula (Beagle and Catahoula)
- Pitahoula (American Pit Bull Terrier and Catahoula)
- Chihuahoula (Chihuahua and Catahoula)
- Catahoula Bulldog (Catahoula and American Bulldog)
Dog Grooming Needs
As we’ve already told you, these canines have short coats, so they don’t need a lot of grooming. However, you still have to do the basics, such as brushing them at least 2-3 times a week.
Besides regular brushing, don’t forget to trim their nails and clean their ears. These canines also love to run and play outside, so bath them occasionally. Doing these things will make your bond with your pup stronger.
Dog Exercise & Training
Before making the final decision, consider the Catahoula Leopard Dog’s exercise and training needs carefully.
This breed is NOT for people who want a dog who is a couch potato!
- These canines are highly energetic and task-oriented dogs; thus, they require physical and mental stimulation.
- These canines will happily live in a home with a large, fenced yard. They need at least 1-2 hours for playing and running.
How fast can a Catahoula Leopard Dog run?
Catahoula Leopard Dogs have been clocked at speeds of up to 40 miles per hour, making them one of the fastest dog breeds in the world.
How much exercise do Catahoula Leopard Dogs need?
- These canines need 1 hour of strenuous activity on a daily basis.
- You can engage them in activities like sports games, hiking, swimming, and Frisbee.
- When they get bored, they might become aggressive and destructive.
- Try different training methods at an early age so that they will become more comfortable around children, elders, and strangers.
- So, give them plenty of exercise time and training to keep them happy and healthy for a long time.
Dog Diet & Nutrition
- The good thing is that Catahoulas don’t need a strict diet. You can feed them regular dog food rich in protein, carbohydrates, and other nutrients.
- Other than this, you can also give them human food. However, do not give them excessive food as they’re prone to obesity.
You can feed your full-grown Catahoula Leopard Dog 3 to 5 cups of food ( two meals) daily.
Here is the feeding chart for your reference:
|Dog Age||Dog Weight||Amount||Frequency|
|2 Months||15 lbs||0.5 cups||3x/day|
|3 Months||25 lbs||0.75 cups||3x/day|
|6 Months||50 lbs||1 cup||3x/day|
|10 Months||65 lbs||1.75 cups||2x/day|
|13 Months+||75 lbs||2 cups||2x/day|
What To Give:
- White/brown rice
What NOT To Give:
- Onion & Garlic
- Citrus fruits
Every dog is different, with different food requirements. So take the above chart only for reference, and if you want a detailed feeding chart, contact your vet. They will prepare a feeding chart for your pup’s weight, age, and health.
What is the lifespan of the Catahoula Leopard Dog?
On average, the Catahoula Leopard Dog lives about 10 to 14 years.
Dog Health Concerns
Catahoula leopard dogs are a healthy dog breed, so fortunately, this breed won’t have any major health issues; however, these canines are also prone to a few diseases, including:
- Eye issues
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
You can keep your puppy healthy by giving them high-quality dog food along with plenty of exercise. Also, take your Catahoula leopard dog to the vet for regular checkups.
How much does a Catahoula Leopard Dog cost?
You can get a Catahoula Leopard Dog anywhere from $300 to $1500.
- However, the price depends on several factors, such as breeders, location, pup’s age, and health.
- Catahoula Leopard puppies in solid fur color are more commonly found than multi-colored patterns.
- If you want a Catahoula Leopard Dog at a low price, you can search online as many websites offer Catahoula Leopard Dog for sale.
- You can also search your local rescue and adoption centers. However, make sure to select only reputable breeders.
These canines are protective, stubborn, and sometimes can be extremely territorial. Also, they might get aggressive to protect their family when encountering strangers or dangerous situations. This is why regular training and socialization from an early age are important to control their aggressive behavior.
Positive reinforcement training is one of the best ways to train your Catahoula Leopard Dog. Try to give them praises, compliments (good boy or good girl), and their favorite treats for their good behavior or while teaching them a new trick.
You can start the training early because Catahoulas start working like adults at only 10 months, and they get fully grown at 2 years. Make their training fun so that they can enjoy learning new things.
Yes, Catahoula Leopard Dogs make excellent family pets. These canines are active, playful, and protective. Proper training and early socialization will help them to control their aggressive behavior.
Catahoula Leopard Dogs are considered a rare breed outside the U.S.A. Unfortunately, the American Kennel Club (A.K.C.) does not recognize this breed. However, they have recognition from the United Kennel Club (U.K.C.), Catahoula Leopard Dog Association of America (CLDAA), and North American Catahoula Leopard Dog Association (NACDLA).
Some popular alternative breeds to the Catahoula Leopard Dog are Black Mouth Cur, Queensland Heeler, Blue Heeler, and German shorthaired pointer (G.S.P.s).
Catahoula Leopard Dog is a unique dog breed widely known for its loyalty, intelligence, and energetic behavior. Apart from being a great pet and companion, these canines are excellent watchdogs and guard dogs. If you’re searching for an active puppy who can live comfortably indoors, the Catahoula Leopard Dog will be a good fit for you!
However, remember that this breed requires regular exercise of at least 1 hour and extreme training sessions. So, if you can’t do all this; this dog isn’t for you. So, this is all about the Catahoula Leopard dog. I hope this guide has given you all the information you need to make your final decision about this breed. Share this blog with your family and friends if you find it informative.